Sunday, March 8, 2009


Remember Peter Lynch? He was the 80’s Mutual Fund wizard who got down on the level of the consumer and took a look around for investment opportunities. Today I decided to spend this Sunday as many consumers might do and see if I could find some investment opportunities. Although this economy was a little different than the economy of the late 1980’s. I am seeing more people using coupons and paying with a bag of change from home.

The real reason I had this idea was that I was down to my last dollar in the old wallet. Sure I could just run down to the ATM and get more cash. Or even easier just throw all of today’s purchases on a credit card. But some people currently don't have that option. Even worse, what if the credit crisis becomes so bad that consumer’s credit cards are turned off and there is no cash in the magic ATM machine available to them?

So to get this Sunday going, I started with an hour of back breaking work sorting the cans, glass, and plastic bottles on the side yard that have been collecting for a month now. Next, it was off to the “other” ATM machine; the local recycling center. This place was crowded more than usual. There sure was a lot of cash going out to people lined up. Publicly traded recycling plays? AA perhaps (it sure is on sale right now around 5 dollars)

On our way to the next destination we drove thru an R&D / Office zone and I have never seen so many Space Available signs. This is on top of all the spec. office buildings that just hit the market with no tenants to move in. I am still thinking Commercial Real Estate has more bad news coming. SRS on a pullback to its trend line may continue to be a play.

Finally we get to Costco, our Brunch destination. COST has the best free brunch around if you ask me. All the major food groups plus desert was available. But you had to be willing to wait at each station for 5 minutes behind the people in front of you. After a good 30 minute grazing session, we then purchased our dinner for tonight, tomorrow, and the next night. Yes, we used the $26.50 from the recycling center and picked up a big hunk of sliced turkey and a large bag of bread… BAM!

On a serious note, I know that most people are still doing alright. All this doom and gloom talk has historically been a contrarian indicator. I hope that’s the case this time. But there is always that little question of, “but is it different this time”?

No comments: